The Sweetwater Union High School District mathematics program is built to address the Common Core State Standards of Mathematics and the Standards of Mathematical Practice. We support the philosophy of the standards as they reflect the knowledge and skills that students will need to be successful in college and career. The philosophy is based on focus, coherence, and rigor. In other words, instruction is focussed on grade level-standards, links major topics within grades, and develops conceptual understanding, procedural fluency and application. Along with the content standards, we want Sweetwater students to be independent thinkers while utilizing their mathematical practices that will give them the mathematical foundation of solving real world issues. Mathematically proficient students will:
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- Model with Mathematics.
- Use appropriate tools strategically.
- Attend to precision.
- Look for and make use of structure.
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.