The Sweetwater Union High School District History Social Science program is constructed to address the California History-Social Science Content Standards and the California Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts and Literacy in History Social Science. History, Civics and Government, Geography, and Economics, are integral to our shared mission of preparing SUHSD students for college, careers, and civic life. The SUHSD History-Social Science program is committed to developing our students’ understanding of the world, encouraging their participation in our democratic system of government, teaching them about our past, and improving their ability to make reasoned decisions based upon evidence. Furthermore, the program emphasizes the importance of the development of student literacy.
Proficiency in the content and literacy standards requires students to:
- acquire core knowledge in history and social science
- develop the critical thinking skills that historians and social scientists employ to study the past and its relationship to the present
- know the facts while also understanding common and complex themes throughout history, make connections to their own lives, the lives of the people who came before them, and the lives of those to come
- develop the skills in reading, writing, speaking, and listening that are the foundation for any creative and purposeful expression in language
- think critically, read, write, and communicate clearly for a relevant purpose